Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Comfort Cross


My dad took up wood carving a couple years ago as something to ease him into retirement and has really become quite the artist. Mom also is also very artistic and has many hobbies. Both of my parents joined their church’s art club, which spends a lot of their time carving these curvy shaped crosses that fit perfectly in your palm. They are comfort crosses, something you can hold on to when you are praying or when you just want that constant reminder that Jesus is with you and the sacrifice he made on your behalf. I was given one earlier this year and kept it near my bed. Three months ago, I went to the Emergency Room and then on to St Elizabeth Hospital for surgery. My comfort cross was still on my nightstand. Fortunately, my mother had hers in her purse and gave it to me just before I went in for surgery. I held onto that cross during surgery, at least I remember having it before going under and having it during recovery. It gave me comfort and I was not afraid. During the following week in the hospital, I held that cross most of the time, even falling a sleep with it, and many times that cross was wet with tears. While in the hospital, I met others with similar medical problems and wanted to give them some of the peace I got while holding the cross. Mom and Dad came through with several more crosses. I have rarely felt as good as I did when I was able to pass along those comfort crosses and have a chat with my new friends. Since then, not a day has gone by that I hold that cross and pray for people and things that really matter.

5 comments:

  1. We know exactly what you mean when you say just holding that cross gives so much peace. I know Denise has one too and you two just keep holding on to those crosses and you will find much comfort while you are going through this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I always keep the cross with me in my purse. The cross reminds me we do not need to go through this difficult time alone. We have God, family and friends to help us through it.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one too, and it was a big comfort to me during and after my surgey. If I was having a bad night I would hold my comfort cross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took your story and my comfort cross to circle on Thursday. The women were very touched by the story and several wanted to buy a cross. You do an excellent job of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would absoutely LOVE to have one of those crosses. If anyone knows where I can get one email me at grandmalonnie@yahoo.com Thanks.
    Our prayers are with you Tony.

    ReplyDelete