Tuesday, July 6, 2010

No Phone Zone Challenge

If you were to choose one cause, what would it be? For me it is bringing awareness to the hazards of distracted driving, specifically using cell phones while driving. Many times I will see a car drive through a red light, fail to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, or continually slowing down and speeding up. When I look at the driver, 9 times out of 10 they are talking on a cell phone. This evening I was asked to attend the High School Cheerleader Practice. The Beatrice High School Cheerleaders and Coaches are preparing to leave for camp next week and have decided to take a challenge with them. As a team, they are challenging all the cheerleaders at camp, to sign a “Tony Lenners – No Phone Zone Pledge” stating that they will not use a cell phone while driving, and to take the challenge back to their respective schools to challenge the entire student body. I’m not sure how they found out that this was one of my biggest concerns, but I am extremely honored that they are willing to include me in their effort, and wish them well. Now for the hard part…I am extending the challenge to each of you to do the same, and at least mentally, sign your own “No Phone Zone Pledge.” If you think that there is no way you can go without talking on your phone while driving, consider these two things. How did we ever get along without cell phones just 10 years ago, and more importantly, how would I ever be able to cope if I were to injure someone simply because I could not wait to pull over to talk on the phone.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa!!! I am taking the challenge and from now on I will pull over and talk. I too have almost had an accident because the other person was texting or talking. Guess I don't know how many times "I" may have been the one "almost" causing the accident. Hope this Blog grows all over the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is talking to me, too.

    ReplyDelete