Monday, October 11, 2010

How's my hair?

During my last appointment with the oncologist, he commented about my hair and how well I have been able to keep it. That got me thinking about all the comments I have received and the gestures that have been made relating to hair. The most memorable gesture I recall happened shortly after I was diagnosed. My niece Nicole, had the longest and thickest brown hair I had seen, and she was proud of it. She wanted to do something to show her support for me, and made a decision to donate most of her hair to Locks of Love, which is an organization that makes and donates wigs to children who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy. I saw a series of photos that were taken while she was having her hair cut…she was all smiles! I am very touched by the gesture and her constant concern for me. Then, a couple months ago, I went to the barber (not a hair stylist, but a real barber). My hair had thinned a bit by then and the barber took care while cutting it. After cutting the hair, he turns on his vacuum and begins to vacuum the loose hair clippings. I became a little concerned when the vacuum suctioned to my scalp several different times. I could just imagine that the vacuum had sucked a section of hair, leaving me with bald patches all over my head. Fortunately, the hair was not quite that brittle and all was ok. He did finish my haircut with a dose of hair tonic to help strengthen the brittle hairs…I love going to a barber! Then, a couple weeks ago, our Pastor mentioned that he was going to grow out his hair and then make a donation to Locks of Love when it was long enough. When I saw how much it had grown and how he had it styled, it reminded me of how I wore my hair in high school…aah nostalgia! Then there are my coworkers. More than one of them are planning to shave their heads, once I decide my hair is too thin and shave mine. Thank you all, I so am touched by all the gestures and your concerns about my morale.

2 comments:

  1. A very touching article. Well done, Tony. LaVon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair almost matches dad's and mine now, but yours has a great shine---must be the coconut oil!! It's great having friends who are willing to grow, cut and shave their hair to show their support for you. Just so you don't worry, I don't think I will shave my hair.

    ReplyDelete