Friday, June 18, 2010

Our Garden


Last fall Alicia and I began spading a plot for a small garden. It was a long day, but felt good to accomplish that project through physical labor. I have a fantastic neighbor who helped me know how much sand and compost to put on the plot and he even tilled the garden a couple times before it snowed. Early spring, my neighbor tilled the garden again – that soil sure looked nice. The plot is fairly small, so we just planted some of the basics, two types of onions, tomatoes, sugar peas, beans, bell peppers, banana peppers, and a couple sweet potatoes. Alicia and I keep the weeds under control and patiently wait for the plants to grow. This is our first garden and fortunately there are a lot people with helpful suggestions – I always thought Sevin was just a misspelling of the number and never knew why sweet potatoes are “hilled”. I check on the garden daily and I get a real satisfaction seeing it grow. Its kind of funny how things work out. Last fall when we began preparing our garden, we just wanted to eat healthier. Now that I am fighting cancer, the importance of eating fresh vegetables is vital, and the physical activity gives me a little exercise, helping to ease the soreness. Watching the plants grow requires a bit of patience and Alicia and I are looking forward to picking that first tomato and making salsa. That reminds me, I need to get some more pint jars.

2 comments:

  1. After seeing your stuff, I think you have plenty of jars. By the way. I began growing herbs this year and have fresh cilantro if you want to put that in your salsa. I put it in mine, but some people don't like the taste of it. I also have a recipe for salsa that tastes just like carlos o'kellys. and its made with canned tomatoes. Ju

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life is just like the garden now. Pull out the bad weeds and watch as the new good and healthy things grow up in your body.

    ReplyDelete