Monday, June 21, 2010

Relay for Life


I just got back from the Relay for Life event in Grand Island. It was the first time I had ever attended one, and it was overwhelming to say the least. My brother, sister and their families had joined a team and invited me to come walk with them. The first thing I noticed when we arrived, were all the tents and booths set up around the track. There were businesses, organizations and individuals, giving away stuff or having carnival games as fundraisers for cancer research. When I checked in I was given a purple shirt with the Relay for Life logo on the front and in large letters on the back was a saying, “Happy Birthday is a Victory Song!” I got a little lump in my throat thinking about the significance of that reference. I was told that cancer survivors walked the first lap, and grouped up with the others wearing purple shirts. Even though there were many other walkers, I felt kind of alone, thinking it was going to be a long lap. When the first lap began, there was the sound of bagpipes playing “Amazing Grace”, and people standing all around the track clapping as we walked by. Remember that lump in my throat earlier? Well it got huge, really huge, and I had a difficult time holding back the emotions welling up inside. About ¼ of the way around the track, Bev tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was Tony. I had never met Bev before but she was a friend of my Mom and Dad, and walked the rest of the lap with me. While we walked, we talked about our cancer journey, and she introduced me to some other survivors. At the end of the first lap, I was joined by my family, who were anxiously waiting for me at the starting line. As we walked the second lap, we looked at all the luminary bags placed around the inner and outer rim of the track. My niece, Nicole had decorated several of the bags with my name and picture on them. After the second lap, I was at my half-mile limit…Lucky and I hadn’t walked farther than that in a long time. Mom, Dad and I left to get a bite to eat and returned later. Around 9:30, when it began to get dark, they lit the luminary bags. That was impressive to see all those bags glowing, lighting the path. I walked a couple more laps making my total distance an even mile, before heading home. Everyone else stayed late, with some staying till 6 AM, after walking many miles. Sitting here typing, I think about all the symbolism surrounding this event, especially that first lap and how lonely I felt, until I met and talked with other survivors. And then there was that extremely uplifting and supporting second lap. I had some apprehension about attending a Relay for Life event this year, mostly because at times I still live in denial. And, while there will still be some denial, I plan to remember that quote on the back of my purple shirt. So, now every August 28th, if you hear me humming “Happy Birthday to me…” feel free to join in knowing that I am celebrating another year of victory!

5 comments:

  1. tried posting comment, but did'nt want to go through---had to hit twice and wait for "your comment was published". know some others also had trouble getting through

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone who has read this Blog has commented on feeling like they were on the walk with you and felt your emotions. Keep up the faith ---God must have a special purpose for you. Next year you can go for two miles around the track!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...Tony....I walked that survivor first lap and wish I had seen you...I did not have a purple shirt on as they ran out of my size...I never got up the guts to walk the survivor mile until last year.....so kudos to you and how fabulous that you have such strong family and friend support. You are special!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your attitude and outlook are an inspiration. Thanks for helping all of us be reminded of how we should all be approaching life. We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post well donw ,tried posting comment, but did'nt want to go through---had to hit twice and wait for "your comment was published". know some others also had trouble getting through ,well my blog usagamezone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete