Saturday, August 14, 2010

Livestrong!


A while back I started wearing a yellow “Livestrong” bracelet. For me it is a little reminder to make the most of each day. “Livestrong” and be a productive member of my community, “Livestrong” in relations with family and friends, “Livestrong” by being a positive role model, and “Livestrong” in faith. I live in a fantastic community, and the support shown during the recent benefit still has me in awe. I do what I can to help out neighbors, attend community functions, keeping up on local current affairs, and I enjoy meeting new people when I am able to get out. Family and friends are obviously a big part of my life, and always will be. During my tour as a police officer, I dealt with many family quarrels, and learned that some family members haven’t even talked to one another for many years. I can't begin to image what that must be like. I continually strive to be a positive role model, but I guess we just never know who we affect or if we are even doing the right thing. My faith is a big part of who I am and I want that to continue to be my inner focus. I pray frequently and there have been times when I have pleaded, even to the point of begging God, to cure me of this cancer, or at least give me additional years with family and friends. Then there are those times when I just don’t know what to pray. It is those times I simply imagine myself sitting with a good friend, you know, someone who is comfortable with just sitting quietly until one of us thinks of something to say. Sometimes nothing is ever said and I simply sit and enjoy the outdoors, but then sometimes I get an overwhelming feeling of peace and contentment flowing through my body and realize that even though things are not as I had imagined they would be, there is a master plan at work. I have no idea what that master plan is, but know that in some small way I am fulfilling a role. I pray that we all realize what is important to us and make a daily effort to "Livestrong" in support of the master's plan! God bless you all!

9 comments:

  1. Tony,
    Hang in there and know you are an inspiration to me. I pray that I can be as strong as you are in my own battle with cancer.

    Ethan Dschaak
    Sturgis, SD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep living strong, Tony! You know there are always people who are looking for great role models who Live Strong, like you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one good role model, Tony. You are looking at life like some will never do because they do not have the Almighty in their life like you do. After being on the Niobrara this weekend with many college 'children' (and I do mean children as they have much growing up to do), I know they will never have the heart or faith in their lives if they live to be 100 like you do now. You and yours always in our thoughts and prayers. Evie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Tony. Your laugh for the day. Do not know how to get this through without selecting the annonymous one :)Evie

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too, admire your faith and good role model. I too, find that when some things in our lives are a challenge, I don't know how to pray, but the Holy Spirit intercedes for us when we don't know what words to use. That has been a great comfort to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evie, I believe you can select "Name/URL" in the "Comment as:" drop down menu, and just type your name, leaving the URL portion blank. Tony

    ReplyDelete
  7. O.K. Live Strong----Keep on fighting, the right treatment with God's help will knock those cancer cells right out of your body and you are right----someday they will say--"Tony Lenners fought and is 10 years free" Praise God!!! "M"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tony I hope you remember every since you started this journey- God was with you to guide you. He will give you strength to win this battle Hang in there. Gaylan and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tony,

    I pray for you every day and if anyone can beat this it is you. Hang on to your faith and try and stay strong. You'r e a good man Tony.

    Jeri June

    ReplyDelete