Sunday, August 22, 2010

A New Chemotherapy Regimen

Two weeks ago I began a new chemotherapy regimen, because the regimen I had been on for three months was not working as expected. This new regimen is directed at adnocarcinoma cancers with the infusion process taking about 4.5 hours every other week. I get the same antinausea and antidiarrheal injections as before, but now get an infusion of Cisplatin and Avastin. From what I have been told, the Avastin stops the formation of blood vessels that bring oxygen and nutrients to the tumors, therotically starving them. Cisplatin is a common chemotherapy drug used in the treatment of many cancers. One of the side effects of the Cisplatin is that it makes me super sensitive to hot and cold. I like cold drinks and thought it was interesting that a cool glass of water, actually felt like a slush when I drank it. I did not realize how sensitive it made me until my mother brought me a chocolate shake during my last infusion. The shake felt like it had little ice crystals in it, not the smooth creamy shake I was used to, and made my lips tingle with pain. After a couple sips, I got a strong pain in my stomach and back. I couldn’t figure out was what going on until after a minute or so, when it left as suddenly as it came. I have had brain freezes before, but never a stomach freeze. Now I take smaller sips when I have a cold drink. In addition to the Cisplatin, Avastin, and somthing called 5FU, I am also given a 15 minute infusion of Zometa to help strengthen my bones in the areas where the cancer has settled in. After finishing the 4.5 hour infusion, I have to continue with an additional 5FU infusion for another 46 hours, so I am hooked up to a mini-pump that I wear for the next two days. Since my infusion was on a Friday, I go in and have the mini-pump removed on the following Sunday. 24 hours after the mini-pump is removed, I go in for a Neulasta injection, to help boost my white blood cell production. The Neulasta makes my bones and joints ache, which I guess is normal. It seems like quite a procedure and the nurses that give me the infusion have to really know their stuff. Every time I have an infusion it effects me differently. Sometimes my lower back aches, sometimes my upper back aches, sometimes my side or hips ache, and sometimes my neck aches, but there is always some aching, and when I walk, I must look like an old man from behind. I just keep reminding myself that the achiness is due to the chemotherapy drugs doing there thing, and that the pain is not from the cancer.

5 comments:

  1. Tony, I found this as I was going through some of my cards.
    I still believe that MIRACLES
    can happen every day.
    I still think angels sometimes
    come to wipe our tears away.
    When night seems darkest,
    I belive we'll see a light shine clear,
    And when the storm is gone
    I'm sure a rainbow will appear.

    Amanda Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, I also had the cisplatin and neulasta. Not fun drugs but necessary. Stay positive and hang in there. You are truly an inspiration. Think of the positive influence you have been too so many. You have much to be proud of.

    Ethan Dschaak
    Sturgis, SD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tony,
    Just wanted to wish you a ''HAPPY BIRTHDAY''.
    it was great visting with your Mom & Dad.
    They were excited to get your house all painted. God Bless you and all of your loved ones. Lee & Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to remind you we are praying all the time for God to take away every single cancer cell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you Tony as you start this newest treatment. Sounds like some weird side effects ... good thing you are pretty tough. I will pray for continued healing for you.

    Rick Huls

    ReplyDelete